Re: VFAT kernel considerations

Hi!

> How much time before the cache is flushed and current write completed?
> Is there any "write complete" signal so Shutdown or N.Closure don't
> reboot the system until everything in the cache has been written to disk?

The xfs has a sync function that used the kernel to sync the disk. The
method is a timeout with a variable time (standard 2 secs, can be set in
MiNT.CNF).

If you shutdown a sync () is explizitly called.

>  >Same with minix filesystem (turbo mode = writeback mode).
>
> Good to know.  Btw, where can I set the size of the Minix cache?

Ther are a tool, csize.

> Generally speaking, the only drive that would require a cache (IMHO)
> is A, because its access is always blocking.  Most modern hard-disks
> already cache the data by design, so it should be fast enough.

No, a FAT drive without caching is very slow.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040