re :Re: audio device v 0.9

Hiyah Konrad

 Re: audio device 0.9

> Hi John,

> one more notice:

> > 	'actrl chan 4' allows you to audition 4 channel samples if you
> > 		have the necessary external hardware for your falcon! You can
> > 		also try 6 or 8 too!

> the internal Falcn sound subsystem DOES support four stereo channels,
> AFAIK.

I know but you can only monitor 1 stereo pair at a time unless you program
the dsp to mix all the tracks for you...and unfortunately my programming
knowledge does not (yet?) extend to 56001 assembler...there is a xbios call
to select which (stereo) track to monitor.

I thought that it would be really nice if someone put together a /dev/dsp
that had some supplied functions that you could choose to do for example,
jpeg decompression, audio mixing and any other general purpose dsp routines
just by issuing a command like `dspctrl devaudio mix 2 1` which would cause
the dsp to connect itself into the audio subsystem and when you cat a 2
stereo pair file at /dev/audio, the dsp would mix the two stereo tracks into
one and output them to to /dev/audio which you would have previously
configured for 2 channel operation.

Bit of a pipe-dream though :-)

Salut/.

J/.

ps if anyone has a hades, etc with one of those startracker audio boards(??),
 please let me know if this works otherwise I'll have to tweak it.
Unfortunately I had to access the registers directly rather than using the
xbios, - which tended to hang the system...:-(