Re: VFAT kernel considerations

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >Please note: the new xfs is not a VFAT xfs. It is a FAT based filesystem
>  >that also support (optionally and configurable) Microsoft's VFAT
>  >extension and FAT32.
>
> Ermm.. I thought the new filesstem was fully integrated into the
> kernel (where it belongs, IMHO, since it's a TOSFS replacement)?

Whether the filesystem is compiled into the kernel-binary or loaded
afterwards doesn't matter when it comes to performance. I support
Julian's suggestion of moving the new TOSFS into a separate XFS, as it
might make it simpler to maintain.

I also suggest that the old TOSFS is kept, as there are still quite a
few MiNT-users with 4Mb-machines who will probably want to save as
many bytes as possible... Perhaps a compile-time option?

However, I don't think either of these suggestions are really
important, so if they're hard or time-consuming to implement then it's
probably best to ignore them.

/*
**
*/