Re: VFAT kernel considerations

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Frank Naumann wrote:

> Yes, or if you boot plain TOS (can't read the VFAT entry's).

Well, every file should have a standard 8+3 filename as well as a
VFAT-entry, so if the FAT is readable by TOS it's also quite possible
to boot plain TOS. I actually do this on a STE I have, it normally
runs MagiC (SH204, only one partition) with VFAT enabled on the boot
drive. There are no problems in booting TOS on that drive.

> > Btw. I'm a lot more worried about the wb-cache, which is what has
> > caused most data-loss under MagiC. Can anybody (Frank? Konrad?)
> > confirm that "our" implementation is safer than MagiC's?
>
> What do you understand under safe? If you turn off the power before the
> cache is flushed you have always a inconsistent filesystem.

The problem with MagiC is that the kernel crashes and the cache never
gets flushed. I just wondered if there is some sort of mechanism in
MiNT to flush the cache when things crashes. However, MiNT is very
stable here so this isn't really a problem.

/*
**
*/