Re: Partition splitter?

Hi!

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 03:34:32PM -0600, Michael Hill wrote:
> >Yes, this is exactly the way that is recommended for the Linux tool
> >I've mentioned earlier.  But the most important sector you should
> >backup is the root sector.  If one of the boot sector is bogus
> >probably only this one partition is lost.
>
> Oh, I thought [br]oot sector was the same thing.  What is the
> difference?

I'm not an expert for that...

Every harddisk has one root sector.  It contains the general layout
of the device, for example the partition table (partition #1 starts
here and ends there, partition #2 ...)

Each partition has one boot sector.  It contains the information
needed to boot (suprise, surprise) from this partition and other
stuff that is specific to this partition.

The truth is probably a little more complicated.  Anyway, if you
mess up your root sector you've screwed your harddisk; if you
mess up the boot sector this should do only little harm (compared
to a bogus root sector).

Ciao

Guido
--