Re: Loadable keyboards

Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> Since I finally tried Clocky, I like the approach of having 2 different
> keymaps, but the old KBD format is really limitted as it cannot produce
> a character unavailable in Atari's TOS, plus it doesn't recognize extra
> keys provided on PC keyboards used on clones. For instance, ISO-8859-1
> (and PC keyboards, using ^ deadkey) has E-circ which Atari doesn't have.
>
> Still, I think such an option should be included in newer AES, as a work-
> around to allow an ISO keymap to be used when needed, with applications
> that need this instead of Atari's aging keymap.

Could these keymappers also be used to map out keys on the JagPad?  This could
come in handy when working with MIDI programs and aren't standing right in
front of the Falcon or STe.  Perhaps a small utility could be made that would
do this too.  I'm sorry if it is immature on my part, but ever since Res. Gods
created Power Mouse, I've pretty much used my JagPad exclusively as a
controller on my Falcon.  It would be nice if one of the keys, such as
arrow-up and option would present a symbolic keyboard on the lower part of the
screen, that would allow simulated keyboard input when using the JagPad or a
mouse.  Like games that do this to enter your name on the hi-score chart.

Peter