Re: Loadable keyboards

 >> It would have been nice if N.AES implemented this, if anybody on this
 >> list has any contact with it's authors then please ask them :-)
 >
 >Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think the keytables are handled on
 >(X)BIOS level, so N.AES should not meddle with them.
 >
 >If you need to replace them, this can be easily done using a simple program
 >that uses the documented interface to get/set the tables - this should work
 >on all newer TOS versions.

As far as the Compendium tells, they are loaded by the AES, which
looks for Keytbl.tbl in \multitos, but you are correct in stating
those remap the BIOS keyboard..

Since I finally tried Clocky, I like the approach of having 2 different
keymaps, but the old KBD format is really limitted as it cannot produce
a character unavailable in Atari's TOS, plus it doesn't recognize extra
keys provided on PC keyboards used on clones. For instance, ISO-8859-1
(and PC keyboards, using ^ deadkey) has E-circ which Atari doesn't have.

Still, I think such an option should be included in newer AES, as a work-
around to allow an ISO keymap to be used when needed, with applications
that need this instead of Atari's aging keymap.

 Martin-Eric Racine           The Atari TT030 Homepage with FAQ
 FUNKYWARE CREATIONS inc.     http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/