Re: fatal error handling

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> Generally, it is already done so for years now. On a fatal error MiNT
> halts writing a "log" (I don't think it could write more to a disk based
> log file, so this doesn't make difference) to the console and adding a
> line saying: "FATAL ERROR. You have to reboot the system".
>
> Isn't that basically the same? I mean writing such stuff to a logfile
> wouldn't be more useful, but more difficult instead, as it has been
> already mentioned.

Actually on some UNIXes you get some extremely detailed files containing
everything the system as woing at the time so you can work out what
exactly caused the fail, what circumstances etc. This is much more than
what you can print on the screen at any particular moment. Also you have
the added benefit that the system then can raise itself so actual downtime
is as low as possible.

This may not be really valid in the case of MiNT, but it's a thought. I do
believe there are more critical areas than this.

         |    /     Kristoffer Lawson      |    www.fishpool.com
         +-> |    setok@fishpool.com       |  - - --+
             |-- Fishpool Creations Ltd - /         |