Re: TOSBook etc. (was: Re: TSR blacklist)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Mikko Larjava wrote:

> > Oh yes it does! Many of MagiC's 3D-objects are smaller than the ones
> > in all other AESes, so if you design a resource under MagiC you get a
> > very unpleasant surprise on Falcon-TOS, MultiTOS, N.AES, Geneva or
> > oAESis...
>
> I haven't heard of any standards which says how big 3d-objects should be.
> That's why there is objc_sysvar to let you find it out. And is it even
> possible to design a resource which looks shit with other AES's without
> pixel wise positioning?

Yes. If you design a RSC with a normal RSC-editor under MagiC, it's
easy to be fooled by the smaller 3D-objects and place them too close,
even with character-aligned objects. The STinG-dialer is a prime
example of this (I haven't tested recent versions though).

And objc_sysvar(AD3DVAL,...) is not really useful in such cases, if
objects are placed to close then you have to relocate them which is
not trivial (to put it mildly) (basically the entire tree will have to
be modified to get things right.). The only practical solution is to
design the RSC properly in the first place.

objc_sysvar(AD3DVAL,...) is really only useful for a RSC-editor, or if
you're building a tree at run-time and want to utilise every available
pixel.

/*
**
*/