SQL on the Atari platform.

Hi All,

I recently came across the Home Page of mSQL (Mini SQL) which is a cut
down version of SQL but is still in accordance with the ANSI SQL
specification.

I downloaded the source code to version one and decided to try and
compile it on my Atari with MiNT (KGMD) and GCC to see if it would work.

The compilation and installation of mSQL went quite smoothly, although when
the mSQL daemon was compiling the following four warning messages were
displayed:

msqld.c 450: Warning: passing arg 3 `accept' from incompatible pointer type
msqld.c 457: Warning: passing arg 3 `getsockname' from incompatible pointer type
msqld.c 498: Warning: passing arg 3 `getpeername' from incompatible pointer type
msqld.c 501: Warning: passing arg 3 `getsockname' from incompatible pointer type

Once the installation had finished I was able to start the mSQL daemon and
use the admin tool to create a database.  The only problem I am having now
is that when you run the mSQL monitor (used to add, delete tables, perform
queries etc) it exits back to the command line.

I added a few display statements in the daemon source code to try and figure
out where it is going wrong.  It seems that the monitor manages to connect
to the daemon but then thinks that the connection has finished and so exits.

As I only know C at a basic level, I can only assume that it has something
to do with those four warning messages as everything else seems to work
correctly.

What I would like to know is if anybody else has tried to compile mSQL
or any other form of SQL on their Atari, or may know enough C to fix the
four lines of code that may be causing the problem.

It seems that we may be only four lines of code away from having a
widely used database engine on the Atari platform, with enough tools to
be able to incorporate database access into our own programs.

For any of you who want to give this a go, you can find the source code
to versions one and two on the mSQL Home Page: http://www.hughes.com.au

Version two is much larger than version one, and failed during the
system checking stage on my system.

mSQL can be a bit memory hungry during compilation and during its peak,
looks as if it requires about 4MB of free memory.

Bye for now.

Regards,

Ben Hills.
Ben Hills	      - UNIX, Windows & Atari programmer
ben@imperial.co.uk  - http://www2.imperial.co.uk/home/ben