Re: current kernel beta

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>     * Partitions are identified as "TOS" by the new DF, while previous
>       betas correctly reported "FAT 16" (hd), "FAT 12" (floppy).

I also tested this to be true.

>       Is this correct?

I would hope not :-|

I also compiled the new minix.xfs but it failed when it got to `xstrip...`
in the Makefile. Do I need `xstrip` and if so where can I get it?

I did boot-up with this driver though. It failed to mount my entries in
/etc/fstab:

	f	/			minix	-	-	-
	g	/home			minix	-	-	-*
	h	/var/spool/mail		minix	-	-	-
	i	/usr/local		minix	-	-	-
	j	/usr/local/csound	minix	-	-	-

*this line always fails as the only way I could work this was to put the
following line into my mint.cnf: "sln g:\home u:\home".

Frank, are you developing a new mount-suite of programs for the new
filesystems too? If so, can it be done so that, for example (from above),
a `df` returns that i is mounted on u:\usr\local or /usr/local, rather
than just u:?

I had a brief discussion about mounting filesystems with Konrad a few
months back and he set me straight on a few points (thanks). I've been
thinking a bit more about this: Would it be worthwhile to give us
MiNT-users the option of just one sln entry in mint.cnf, eg "sln k:\ u:\"?
Assuming there was a complete filesystem heirarchy below k:\, then is this
not the same as the many lines most of us have now, but with just one
point of reference to the root of the filesystem? With this method you
would be able to have / as root's home if you so wanted. (I did try this,
just out of interest to see if it would work, but it didn't...).

Salut/.

J/.
__
John Blakeley