Re: [MiNT] Pine hanging

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Mario Becroft wrote:

> The problem where Pine hangs after expunging from a mailbox that has new
> mail is probably just a Pine bug, since someone pointed out that it
> happens under SunOS (or was it Solaris) as well.

I found this from comp.mail.pine newsgroup:
________________

> Sometimes I left Pine (4.05) opened in the window and not working with
> it for a while, and when I come back later I got the message:
>
> Problem detected: "Received abort signal".
> Pine Exiting.
> Arithmetic exception
>
> Is it Pine bug and is there a way to solve it?

Yes and not yet. The problem occurs when you have
"quell-folder-internal-msg" enabled AND new mail arrives in an empty
INBOX. When Pine checks for new mail it gets the abort signal.
------------------

Not exactly same bug but could have something to do with it.
It has newer happened to me (yet) ...

> The other problem, where Pine hangs while writing a message to a file is
> as follows. I have found that Pine always hangs when saving mail to a
> folder with a filename beyond a certain length. That length is 24
> characters. Saving to a file with a name 24 characters long works fine, 25
> characters causes Pine to hang. I wonder if this has something to do with
> creation of the lock file and the limitation on the filename length. My
> minix filesystem is set so that the maximum length of a filename is 30
> characters. So if we have a filename of 25 characters, plus ".lock" that's
> 30 characters. Should just fit in, one would think. Anyway that's the only
> thing that came to mind, it may be a completely nonsensical idea or it may
> not be, I don't know.

This I can reproduce. I have created minix partitons with:
	minit -V -n 4 -P command and therefore it should accept 62
characters as filename. I tried to create folder with 70 characters
and pine hanged as you described...

--
     Juhani Sivusalo            E-Mail: jasivu@na.netppl.fi
       Oulu, Finland          http://www.netppl.fi/~jasivu/