[MiNT] Re: Questions about minixfs and mintne

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:45:19 +0200 (EET), Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> I seem to recall that Linux (and probably other Unices) have several
> stages of INIT processes and one of the first is a filesystem check,
> then root (/root /bin /sbin /etc) is mounted, then after a couple more
> INIT levels, the other filesystem hirarchies are mounted.

I've watched this on my Linuxbox, and what saves fsck's butt there,
is that the root filesystem is mounted read-only first, then checked,
and then mounted read/write. So implementing a proper mount in MiNT
could fix it. :) Then again I see nothing wrong in running fsck from
mint.cnf (which would be kinda hard in Linux <g>), apart from the
fact that I miss out he fancy stuff (automatically reading the names
of the minix partitions from fstab, checking fsck's response and
going to singleuser if necessery). But I guess I can even fix that by
copying that part of the rc file to a seperate script and have it
executed by MiNT. Hmm lemme try that..:)

> > I don't know if we really need this many INIT levels, but maybe
> introducing an FSCK level that goes before everything else and
> acts as a single-user would fix those "cannot sync or lock drive"?

IE: running it from mint.cnf. :)

> Btw, one thing that _is_ fixed since Frank's MinixFS is that doing
> an FSCK on other drives beyond the one where the root is mounted
> doesn't result in "inode not written when drive locked" error that
> we used to have.  I have my spare ST-157 as SCSI 1 and it used to
> give me errors, but not anymore.

Actually, now you mention it, it used to give that error too when
executed from mint.cnf until recently (I mean even on the root
partition). I never noticed it had disappeared but I guess it's the
same fix. :)

See, we're getting there. :)

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /