[MiNT] COPYMINT

Hi all!

I have a large set of files that replace/enhance MiNTLib functions which
I would like to contribute to the MiNTLib.  My problem is that I really
can't identify myself with the MiNTLib's copying policy.  I'm actually
a supporter of the GNU General Public License (GPL) but it would be
unfair if I put my contributios under the GPL.  Among the routines I
plan to modify are really vital ones and putting them under the GPL would
mean that many commercial users could not use these routines any longer.

OK, I have to surrender here and my solution is the following:  Every
file that I send in has a header like the following:

/*  foobar.c -- MiNTLib.
    Copyright (C) 1999 Guido Flohr <gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de>

    This file is part of the MiNTLib project, and may only be used
    modified and distributed under the terms of the FreeType project
    license, COPYMINT.  By continuing to use, modify, or distribute
    this file you indicate that you have read the license and
    understand and accept it fully.
*/

The complete text of the file COPYMINT follows below.  In brief it
explicitely encourages commercial usage of the software as long as
the documentation includes a disclaimer that states that the product
is in parts based on the MiNTLib.

Note that this does not mean that the licensing for the entire MiNTLib
changes at once.  Only those files that explicitely refer to COPYMINT
are affected (currently only mine).  However, I think that COPYMINT
grants fair conditions for all involved parties and future contributors
are encouraged to follow it.  However, it should be mentioned again
that all other files in the MiNTLib retain their legal state, i. e.
for example the obstacks code is GPL'd, the printf/scanf family of
functions is under BSD license and so on.

This isn't meant to be the starting point of another big discussion.
It only affects to my contributions and I want to know if anybody
would feel deprived by her/his rights.

Here's COPYMINT:

     		The MiNTlib Project LICENSE
     		---------------------------

This license text is inspired by the FreeType Project LICENSE which
is

      		Copyright 1996-1998 by
   David Turner, Robert Wilhelm, and Werner Lemberg

Modified by Guido Flohr, 1999, to meet the needs of the MiNTLib.

Introduction:

This license applies to all files found in this packages, and which
explicitely refer to this license agreement.

This license was inspired by the BSD, Artistic and IJG (Independent
JPEG Group) licenses, which all encourage inclusion and use of free
software in commercial and freeware products alike. As a
consequence, its main points are that:

o We don't promise that this software works. However, we'll be
interested in any kind of bug reports ("as is" distribution)

o You can use this software for whatever you want, in parts or full
  form, without having to pay us. ("royalty-free" usage)

o You may not pretend that you wrote this software. If you use it,
  or only parts of it, in a program, you must acknowledge somewhere
  in your documentation that you've used the MiNTlib code.
  ("credits").

We specifically permit and encourage the inclusion of this
software, with or without modifications, in commercial products,
provided that all warranty or liability claims are assumed by the
product vendor.

Legal Terms:

0.Definitions:

"You" refers to the licensee, or person using the project, where
"using" or "redistribution in binary form" is a generic term
including compiling the project's source code as well as linking
it to form a "program" or "executable".  This program is referred
to as "a program using the MiNTLib".

This license applies to all files in the MiNTLib distributed that
refer to this license agreement, including all source code,
binaries and documentation, unless otherwise stated in the file in
its original, unmodified form as distributed in the original
archive. If you are unsure whether or not a particular file is
covered by this license, you must contact the author to verify this.

All files are copyright (C) of the authors as stated in the
original, unmodified source texts. All rights reserved except as
specified below.

1. No Warranty:

THE MINTLIB IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
IN NO EVENT WILL ANY OF THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE
MINTLIB.

As you have not signed this license, you are not required to accept
it. However, as the MiNTLib project is copyrighted material, only
this license, or another one contracted with the authors, grants
you the right to use, distribute, and modify it. Therefore, by
using, distributing, or modifying the MiNTLib, you indicate that
you understand and accept all the terms of this license.

2. Redistribution:

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

o Redistribution of source code must retain this license file
  (COPYMINT) unaltered; any additions, deletions or changes to the
  original files must be clearly indicated in accompanying
  documentation. All copyright notices must be preserved in all
  copies of source files.

o Redistribution in binary form must provide a disclaimer that
  states  that the software is based in part of the work of the
  MiNTLib team in the distribution documentation.

These conditions apply to any software derived from or based on the
MiNTLib code, not just the unmodified files. If you use our work,
you must acknowledge us. However, no fee need be paid to us.

3. Advertising:

The names of MiNTLib's authors and contributors may not be used to
endorse or promote products derived from this software without
specific prior written permission.

We suggest, but do not require, that you use one or more of the
following phrases to refer to this software in your documentation
or advertising materials: "MiNTLib Project" or "MiNTLib
Distribution".

4. Contacts:

A contact person can be retrieved from one of the files "AUTHORS"
or "README" or the source file itself as found in the MiNTLib
distribution.

       --- The End ---

Hope you can live with that.

Guido