Re: [MiNT] stack size!

> Heh! Recently I was porting an MP3 encoder (originally written for WIN32
> but already ported to about 6 platforms including Solaris, OS/2 and of
> course Linux). Well, I got it to compile in a few minutes but then spent
> three(!) days by debugging. Whenever I run the encoder it freezed my
> whole computer. Shame I have no memory protection, I always had to use
> the last-resort button.
>
> Anyway, at last (after disabling about every single line of that
> program) I realized it was freezing due to stack being too small. OK I
> have seen this several times before (but I keep forgetting that :-).
> Sure I can fixstk it, but how much memory is enough? 32kB? 128kB? 512kB?
> At last I put there 2 MB (paranoia) but I still donīt know if it was
> enough.

Speaking of which... your mp3 DECODER released some time ago does not work
correctly on my system (bus error), whatever stack size i define for it (i
gave up after setting 4 MB stack and getting bus error). It only works if
i specify option '-s'. What may be wrong?

And, speaking of determining stack size, most of programs are satisfied
with 16 or 32k, only exceptional things like gcc & friends must have
(much) more.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |
|http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/
|http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.