Re: [MiNT] 1.15.1 beta 1.1

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:38:49 +0100, Thomas Binder wrote:

Hi Thomas,

TB>Note that - when you compile the source yourself - the 040-MMU-support
TB>is not limited to the Milan. It should work on all 040-setups which
TB>
TB>- Already use the MMU when MiNT is run
TB>- Don´t use transparent translation for user address space
TB>- Have at least one RAM-type mapped linearly (i.e. no gaps in the
TB>  addresses being mapped to)

TB>Also note that this stuff is EXPERIMENTAL. I just started coding on
TB>Sunday, and there are some bugs left for sure.

I am quite impressed you wrote the 68040 MMU code in a two days after
receiving 68040 manual. I know several people that have 68040 docs for
a long time but never managed to write the MMU code for MiNT (including
myself :)

However it does not work on my Afterburner040 right now. It crashes
during boot with two bombs and I am unable to read all the quickly
scrolling reports - is there a wait_for_keypress() in the kernel source?

Anyway, I think I saw there lines like "MMU enabled", "page size is 8k"
and the last line before crash is something like "memory area has an
invalid descriptor?"

I would be very happy to help you adapt the code for Afterburner. I know
roughly how the memory layout is created on AB040 and I have the source
code for M68040 toolkit which does the initialization of FastRAM and
sets up the MMU on AB040. I´ll be glad to do anything for AB040 friendly
FreeMiNT. Thanks!

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer