Re: [MiNT] Proposition

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> Yes - but only if *one* setting is sufficient. Take proxy servers: in the
> worst case, you need a lot of different ones (for the different protocols),
> *and* you need different ones for each dialup connection. I don't want to
> login as a new user for each dialup connection just to have the correct
> settings!
Am I dreaming or just beeing plain wrong?
* this is a proposal to standardize mainly the GEM env. Such as browser,
color_server, font protocol, email client, env for internet (stik/sting
ones)
Proxy servers are handled the same way as they always were.

* relog iff user? why would you to read your email?
modern emailer first handle several mailboxes, also, the env set is the
default one. which as you might not have understood correctly is easily
from your desktop or a shell script resetable without reloging into
another user. You relog as a diff user to really change a whole set of
settings.

> > > Why not simply use /etc/mailcap? The version on my Linux machine contains
> > > (among others):

/etc/mailcap , how about magic and singletos? have to use /etc/mailcap
then?
what you are saying is going all against my "quest".

> Usually, you first read /etc/mailcap, then $HOME/.mailcap - voila. The point
> was to use *some* central site for all these things, instead of a big bunch
> of env variables.
hmm, this whole thread is about setting a standard that we all follow. Not
create new ones, worthless one just for the heck of it.

> Um - you mean I have to login as different users, then use POP each time,
> just to poll all my (!) mailboxes? Does not sound very useful to me.
no. (no further comments)