Re: [MiNT] GlueSTiK and mem protection

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:28:00 +0200 (MESZ), Frank Naumann wrote:

>Hi Lonny!
>
>> I need to access the CIB structure from my client in order
>> to check the local and/or remote ports.  I'm looking in the CIB
>> because the identd protocol sends me a port number that I need to
>> double check before I respond back.  Basically the user program does
>> need at least read access to the CIB.  I am pretty sure one should
>> not change values in the CIB, so read only access would be good enough.
>
>Is this structure private for every process or is this structure global?
>Are there any other structures that will be referenced by a user program?

Perhaps Scott can better answer, but I can take try.
CIB means "connection information block" and this structure is
maintained by the tcp/ip stack, one for each connection.
A client can request info about a connection based on the connection
handle it was given when it started the connection.  Gluestik is
having to emulate this behavior.  The client is given a pointer to the
CIB structure.  Not a good design, this means the client indeed has to
go looking around in gluestik's memory area.

There are other structures but I think it's just this one (CIB) that
cannot be accessed correctly.

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet