Re: [MiNT] GlueSTiK and mem protection

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:28:31 -0400 (EDT), Scott Bigham wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Frank Naumann wrote:
>
>> > allocated with kmalloc() ? [...]
>
>> You are right. Gluestik must allocate such memory in user area.
>
>You're sure of this?  This is happening inside the device driver; I
>didn't think umalloc() could be used there.  Is there a way to simply
>change the visibility of the memory so that it can be seen by user
>programs, or does the user program need to be able to change the
>contents of the CIB?

I will answer here for Frank, he says he's not familiar with
the STiK calls.

I need to access the CIB structure from my client in order
to check the local and/or remote ports.  I'm looking in the CIB
because the identd protocol sends me a port number that I need to
double check before I respond back.  Basically the user program does
need at least read access to the CIB.  I am pretty sure one should
not change values in the CIB, so read only access would be good enough.

There are other reasons to look at the CIB also but I won't go into
to those unless anyone needs to know more.

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet