Re: [MiNT] GlueSTiK and mem protection

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:52:03 +0200 (MESZ), Frank Naumann wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> allocated with kmalloc() ?  After talking with Frank about
>> kernal memeory allocation this is why my client dies.
>> I traced the crash in my client right up to where it calls
>> cngetinfo() which indeed returns a pointer, but into some
>> block that is kernal ram?  As soon as my client attempts to
>> fetch the local port from this pointer I have trouble.
>>
>> Am I wrong here?
>
>You are right. Gluestik must allocate such memory in user area. For this
>exist a special routine in the module interface: umalloc - allocate a
>block in user area, private to this program, automatically freed on
>process termination.

Oddly enough I got this posting twice but not the one from ozk :-)

Anyway, yes we discussed this on IRC however I'm still unsure
if my findings in the gluestik source is correct.  It *looks*
to me like the CIB structure is held within the GS structure
which was put into kernal memory.  Worst case senerio is my
ability to read "C" listings improved?  ;-)

Hoping Scott can clear this up.  I havn't been able to recompile
gluestik but I tried.  I get errors, it's my first attempt at
recompiling anything like that.

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet