Re: [MiNT] talkng about graphical layer of mint.

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 03:51:07PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > From: owner-mint@fishpool.com [mailto:owner-mint@fishpool.com]On Behalf
> > Of kellis
> >
> > Hi, got the src of X11
> > I believe having the 16 col (svga) or 256 col server would be ok to
> > port.
> > However can't past the ./config

I think that in the end you will find out that writing a generic server
that is based on the VDI will be less work and more performant and
compatible.  Besides, instead of 16/256 colors I would rather choose
mono/256/true color with the option to run all servers on all graphics
hardware and dither if necessary.  The libjpeg has almost all necessary
stuff for that.

> Risking to be a bit annoying I would like to point out that a working X
> server is pretty much useless unless we have a working shared library schema
> before (which would be needed to make the X lib shared).

I would sooner call that realistic than annoying.  Porting X just to be
able to run one or two xterms and maybe an xload is not worth the while.
The X libraries are all monsters.

Another drawback is the missing shared memory functionality in the
MiNTLib.  Modern X applications make extensive use of shared mem and we
don't have the standard interface yet.  This may cause some problems.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000