Re: [MiNT] Reibl rc files enclosed

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 04:05:32PM +0000, Bernd Ebert wrote:

> Martin: Be careful: You are using a C-Class-Netmask for a A-Class-Network,
>         also you are only routing a small subset of the real network!

Huh?

You can use any netmask with any 'class' IP net, as long as all parts of the
attached net share the same settings. In the case of assigned private IP
ranges (10.*.*.*, 192.168.*.* etc.), this means that the netmask must only
be the same in your network - those addresses are not routed in the
internet.

I think it is quite common to use an assigned Class B net and use it as a
lot of Class C nets (our university does this, too).

Regarding routing: you are routing the whole network that is defined by your
netmask. If the Class C network you are using (eg. 10.0.0.*) falls in a
Class A block or not does not matter - you are using a network using a 24/8
bit netmask, and you are routing all of that - no computer uses the
knowledge that this used to be a class A block for routing purposes.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen