Re: [MiNT] Reibl rc files enclosed

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:54:36 +0200, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 04:05:32PM +0000, Bernd Ebert wrote:
> > >
> > Martin: Be careful: You are using a C-Class-Netmask for a A-Class-Network,
> >         also you are only routing a small subset of the real network!
>
> Huh?
>
> You can use any netmask with any 'class' IP net, as long as all parts of the
> attached net share the same settings. In the case of assigned private IP
> ranges (10.*.*.*, 192.168.*.* etc.), this means that the netmask must only
> be the same in your network - those addresses are not routed in the
> internet.
>
> I think it is quite common to use an assigned Class B net and use it as a
> lot of Class C nets (our university does this, too).
>
> Regarding routing: you are routing the whole network that is defined by your
> netmask. If the Class C network you are using (eg. 10.0.0.*) falls in a
> Class A block or not does not matter - you are using a network using a 24/8
> bit netmask, and you are routing all of that - no computer uses the
> knowledge that this used to be a class A block for routing purposes.

I think you got me wrong: What I meant is:
The setup Martin provided uses a Netmask of 255.255.255.0 for a 10.x Network.
You (and Andreas) are right with your comment that this is perfectly legal,
but on the other hand, as you also mentioned there is only a small subset
of the 10.x Network routed. This is fine with Martins specific network,
but an unexpirienced User (which does not necessarily know about
the relations between Netmask, IP-Adress and routing) could use this setup
and wonder why he can't reach all Machines in his network (if their IPs differ
in the Network-Part of the address). Perhabs it is a bit more clear what I
wanted to state:
I think it would be better to create a more "standard" case in the rc-file.

That's what I meant with my comment. I'm fully aware that A, B, or C-class
does not mean you can't use different netmasks to split up the net in smaller
segments.

Greetings,
            Bernd