Re: [MiNT] Odd problem with minix

> On a minix partition I've 4 text files named like this:
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel         873 Jun 19 14:18 new-last-month.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel        1488 Jun  4 22:30 new-last-week.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel        2940 Jun 19 14:33 new-this-month.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel         892 Jun 19 14:32 new-this-week.txt
>
> The problem is that when I look to the contents of these files with
> 1st-guide or textview (stringserver) all the files beginning with new-last
> (or new-this) looks identical. If I for instance view 'new-last-week.txt'
> it will show me the contence of 'new-last-month.txt'. With other words the
> viewer show the contents of the alphabetical first file.
>
> Now if I copie the same files to a VFAT partition the viewer will show me
> the right contents.

1ST-Guide, Imagecopy, ... and many more simply don't implement proper
long filename support.  I have asked the authors, but most cannot be
bothered.

At some point, I even emailed Thomas Binder's bindings (he kindly
submitted them to this list, a while back) to the author of 1st-Guide,
who had been strongly denying that his program has problems dealing with
long filenames.  All of a sudden, he went "Ah yes, _that_ is what you
mean by "proper" long filename support.  Well, OK, actualy 1st-guide
only uses a quick hack, but it works on Magic, so I don't think I
will ever bother fixing it to that extent, even if it just means
using those bindings.  I have better things to do."

Anyhow, if enough people request it, maybe authors will upgrade
their applications.  If not, we will simply have to write newer
stuff and trash the non-compliant one....

Such is life. :-/

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The ATARI TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/