Re: [MiNT] Odd problem with minix

tos4ever@ping.be wrote earlier:

> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel         873 Jun 19 14:18 new-last-month.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel        1488 Jun  4 22:30 new-last-week.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel        2940 Jun 19 14:33 new-this-month.txt
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel         892 Jun 19 14:32 new-this-week.txt

> The problem is that when I look to the contents of these files with
> 1st-guide or textview (stringserver) all the files beginning with new-last
> (or new-this) looks identical. If I for instance view 'new-last-week.txt'

> Now if I copie the same files to a VFAT partition the viewer will show me
> the right contents.

Right - got the problem here too and I think it's to do with the way
the Minix-FS handles conversions to 8.3 filenames - it seems to be
different to the way that VFAT does it.

VFAT always adds a count after a tilde if the filename won't fit into
the normal 8.3, like "micros~1.txt" for example. The *reason* it does
this is to allow microsoft-is-sh-t.txt (which would, say, be
micros~1.txt) to look different (to an application understanding only
8.3 filenames) to microsoft-is-really-sh-t.txt (which would, say, be
micros~2.txt).

Otherwise it would look like there were two files with the same name, in
the same directory (which would likely cause only the first one found to
be opened). Unfortunately, Minix-FS seems to just truncate the names and
doesn't add a count.

Naturally, your mileage may vary, but I've certainly encountered this
with the N.aes fileselector.

--
.[  Weird person,...  ].[ -:*:- Steven Moore -:*:- ].[ ...by appointment. ].
 .[ smooreg@essex.ac.uk ].[ ICQ #: 29020448 ].[ http://sentroid.tsx.org/ ].