Re: [MiNT] Odd problem with minix

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 03:43:02AM +0200, Frank Naumann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I think this is because the programs you mention run in the TOS-Domain and
> > not the MiNT-Domain.  The file name part that makes the difference gets
> > simply truncated.  And this would make it a kernel problem (and I think it
> > has been discussed here already).
> >
> > What about some smarter filename translation algo?
>
> There is no perfect way to generate unique 8+3 names from a set of long
> names (and match the long names from the short names).

True, but still there are smarter methods (cf. mtools).

> This is a general problem.
>
> VFAT solve this problem as it always generate a second short name for a
> long name.

And minixfs could use some heuristic to be smarter.  It is probably not
against common sense or experience to assume that the most significant
parts of a filename (not considering the so-called extender here) are its
beginning and its end.  A more reasonable approach could look like:

	Long name         | Current Transformation | Better Transformation
	------------------+------------------------+----------------------
	compilelog001.txt | compilel.txt           | compil01.txt
	compilelog002.txt | compilel.txt           | compil02.txt
	compilelog003.txt | compilel.txt           | compil03.txt
	etc. pp.

Not perfect, but I guess this would generally produce better results.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000