Re: [MiNT] on a 4 Mb machine?

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> original 4 MB RAM card with a 14 MB card removed from my computer and when
> the cards were replaced, the stability was noticeably improved. I have no
> clue if there is a failure of the original RAMs, or MiNT just cannot run
> on a 4 MB machine (??)

I have been asking myself this question a _lot_ lately, as I prepare
my distribution, because binaries produced with the newer libs are not
only larger in size, they also use more ram.  The kernel itself is a
perfect example of this:   on the Stacy, if I use any of the 1.15
kernels, I cannot run any application after PPPD is started.  Out of
ram realy quick.  Of course, removing the AES frees about 1 MB, but
it's still too tight for confort.  Therefore, I'm begining to think
my distribution will be 020+ only, since only those machines have
the possiblity of exceeding 4 Mb by design.  This also means I will
be able to use ext2fs as the default filesystem (it requires 020).

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The ATARI TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/