[MiNT] /bin vs. /usr/bin

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 04:46:09PM +0100, Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:
> > can find everything in /bin what is in /usr/bin and vice versa.  How can
> > this break anything?
> >
> Well, if some packages put different binaries with the same name in /bin and
> /usr/bin it will obviously break. But IMHO this is not the smartest thing
> you do...

Yes, you are right.  And Andreas (who probably knows the difference
between /bin and /usr/bin when I look at his new e-mail address) is
also right: There is something broken.

The problem is that there is either a bug in MiNT-rpm, or in the
MiNTLib or the kernel that causes trouble with these top level
directory.  I thought separating the directories would solve the
problem but it obviously doesn't.

But I also see Martin's point: If you want to write portable
software (esp. scripts) you should consider to really distinguish
between the directories under the file system root and those
under /usr.  If you put "/usr/bin/ls" into a shell script,
this will fail on many systems ...

So, for now: Just leave your directory structure as it is unless
100 % portability is an issue for you; for Frank and me it is,
because we are building packages also for those people that have
that strict distinction.

But at least these directories `/bin', `/sbin' and `/lib' should
exist on your system, may they be symlinks into `/usr' or not.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/