Re: [MiNT] Getting started with MiNT [Co

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:50:22 -0400 (EDT), Katherine Ellis wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
>> > And came up with the conclusion that mint/multitos etc should be
>> > droped down to only 1 folder.
>> >
>> > someone came up with mintboot/ (which fits 8+3), I think we all
>> > liked that. (or could be bootmint/)
>>
>> Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Some people prefer mint/
>> others multitos/ and myself, I use a mixture of both.

To Martin:
Ok then nVDI 5.01, Thing 1.27, and nAES 1.2 all work fine here.
Conclusion?  Ain't broke so don't fix it!  Obviously you have some
other problem going on there. A bad mint driver, or CPX or desk
accessory and or your machine is just plain flakey.

And why shoot down an idea when you yourself (Martin) admit you
can't boot your machine without several crashes?

I happen to think kellis brought up a good point. As flexible and
customizable as the mint.cnf location and /mint or /multitos folder
arrangement is it still lends itself to many confusing setup problems
for beginners. Personally I would prefer a single fixed path with a nice
clear error message telling me where it "should" be if not found.
Then setup problems become dead easy to solve.

The one area where I see MiNT falling short big time is in the installation
and setup stage.  I'd say it basically sucks to be honest.  If some user manages
to get it all setup, then they are very happy, if not they start using other OS's
and spewing negative information about MiNT.

[snip]

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet