RE: [MiNT] Re: which tty?

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:47:38 +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

> > > You don't know exactly which tty is which serial port.
>
> > ...which is why a "translation-table" (physical port -> /dev/name) is
> > needed...
>
> Yes but the tty* names are made up in mint.cnf and can be anything. The
> only /dev/ names you can depend on are the ones that mint has
> automatically, and these are identical to the port names (/dev/modem1,
> /dev/modem2 etc). Frank Bartel's "ordentliche Namen" aren't really

Not necessarily ;-) "/dev/modem2" is called "Modem" on the Falcon, while
it's called "Modem 2" on the TT... And let's not forget that the Falcon
also have "/dev/modem1", which isn't wired up at all. Btw. this is the
same (MFP) as the unnamed modem-port on (Mega) STs and Stacys... The
LAN-port on the Falcon appears as "/dev/serial2" IIRC, what it's called
on the TT (not to mention the Mega STE) I don't know. Not "/dev/lan",
that's for sure.

So what you need is some sort of reference to link the physical connector
on the back of the computer to the device-name. I remember cursing a lot
while I tried numerous combinations when I first hooked a modem to my
TT. Not to mention now that I have my Palm, STacy and Mega hooked up to
various serial-ports on it ;-)

/*
**
*/