[MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 08:37:48AM +0000, John Blakeley wrote:
> I need to know which tty users of different hardware use to connect a
> modem to.
>
> ST's have ttya (iirc), Falcons use ttyb, but which tty's do Mega, TT,
> Milan and Hades owners use?

I had a similar problem yesterday.  The new login program should be able
to find out if a particular tty is a dialup device.  Is there a portable
way to do that?

I currently check the name of the line and assume a tty for the following:

	ttyS*
	tty[a-z]
	modem[0-9]
	serial[0-9]

The detection is not critical.  It is only used to syslog a "DIALUP at
ttyS2 by guest".

Anyway, would anybody mind if we would recommend from now on "ttyS*" as
the names of the serial lines?

Ciao

Guido
--