Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
> I had a similar problem yesterday.  The new login program should be able
> to find out if a particular tty is a dialup device.  Is there a portable
> way to do that?
>
> I currently check the name of the line and assume a tty for the following:
>
> 	ttyS*
> 	tty[a-z]
> 	modem[0-9]
> 	serial[0-9]
>
> The detection is not critical.  It is only used to syslog a "DIALUP at
> ttyS2 by guest".
>
> Anyway, would anybody mind if we would recommend from now on "ttyS*" as
> the names of the serial lines?
I think this is an excellent idea. :-)

I'm not quite sure why you would need the modem and serial entries though.
More info on your thinking, Guido, before we understand, perhaps.

And for those people that prefer the modem1, serial2, whatever/etc, maybe
Frank could implement a new mint.cnf directive, that people could use, to
add sym-links to what they are currently called, LEGACY_PORTS, or
something. In fact, maybe we could make some drastic changes to the naming
convention, whatever, in the forthcoming (Hi Frank!) kernel, that if
LEGACY_MINT, or whatever was defined, then the kernel would emulate it's
old behaviour. I'm not suggesting, do this right now, but it might be
worth striving for if we want to make [Free]MiNT a more useable,
up-to-date os.

Salut/.

J/.
__