Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

Hi,

sorry for the delay, sick, busy, ...

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 02:36:16PM +0000, johnnie ligotage wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > I had a similar problem yesterday.  The new login program should be able
> > to find out if a particular tty is a dialup device.  Is there a portable
> > way to do that?
> >
> > I currently check the name of the line and assume a tty for the following:
> >
> > 	ttyS*
> > 	tty[a-z]
> > 	modem[0-9]
> > 	serial[0-9]
> >
> > The detection is not critical.  It is only used to syslog a "DIALUP at
> > ttyS2 by guest".
> >
> > Anyway, would anybody mind if we would recommend from now on "ttyS*" as
> > the names of the serial lines?
> I think this is an excellent idea. :-)
>
> I'm not quite sure why you would need the modem and serial entries though.
> More info on your thinking, Guido, before we understand, perhaps.

It is only used by login for the syslog entries.  Logins via dialup
connections are marked in a special way.  It's really not critical whether
the guess is right or not.  But I would prefer it to be right.

Maybe the kernel could automatically symlink /dev/ttyS[?] to the physical
devices in a standardized manner.  Currently, with a little black magic in
mint.cnf it is even possible to associate "/dev/modem" with your keyboard.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/