Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 09:14:33PM +0200, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> They're called so for historical reasons - take a look at the back of a TT.

So what is the advantage of these names? It doesn't help me to find out
which one I need, it only makes it more difficult to get a list of all of
them.

> It sounds like a good idea to me :-) ttySmodem2?? ;-)

No. Either ttySx (with 'x' being a number), or the old names. Since there
basically is no difference between the different ports which needs a
distinguishing feature in the name, we can either name them all the same
(ttyS*), or keep the historical names (which makes it difficult to decide on
names for new ports: the Milan currently has 1 MFP-style serial port[1], 2
enhanced 16550-style serial ports (with FIFOs), and TOS supports an
additional 8 16550-style UARTs on ISA cards).

cu
Michael

[1] Which will probably be removed on future Milan versions
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen