Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> (ttyS*), or keep the historical names (which makes it difficult to decide on
> names for new ports: the Milan currently has 1 MFP-style serial port[1], 2
> enhanced 16550-style serial ports (with FIFOs), and TOS supports an
> additional 8 16550-style UARTs on ISA cards).

I suggest the following logic:

1) If a port offers CD (and the full complement of modem
   controls), call it modem*, otherwise use serial*.

2) If it uses an MFP, it should be modem1 or serial1, according
   to rule one above.  SCC/ESCC ports are modem2 or serial2.

Other ports that neither use an MFP or SCC could be numbered from
serial3 and modem3, and following.

The above logic flow is consistant with previous Atari products
(except the Falcon, which calls it only MFP "modem1" even though
it only provides RD/TD).

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk