Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 08:42:44PM +0200, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> > > Anyway, would anybody mind if we would recommend from now on "ttyS*" as
> > > the names of the serial lines?
> > I think this is an excellent idea. :-)
>
> Why? What problems will this solve?

It bringt more consistency. Currently, you need to know the port names for
all machines. What names shall the kernel use for additional ports that pop
up (like ST-ESCC, or other stuff)?[1]

> It won't add or improve functionality, it will (IMHO) only make it more
> difficult to see which device to use when Joe User wants to use the modem
> connected to the port named "Modem" on his Falcon.

I find it more confusing that 'modem1' may point to ports with different
capabilities, depending on the machine you use. Using these names does not
really help IMHO - when do I use a 'modem' port, and when is a 'serial' port
more appropriate?

If the port names would tell something about the underlying hardware (like
mfp0, scc0, etc.), then I *might* see a point in using these names (no, I
don't porpose using these names).

Using names like ttyS0 makes it easy to detect all serial ports present,
regardless of the hardware, and it enables something like

for i in /dev/ttyS*; do
 ... configure port
done

in init scripts etc. without requiring modifications for new hardware.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen