Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

> It bringt more consistency. Currently, you need to know the port names for
> all machines. What names shall the kernel use for additional ports that pop
> up (like ST-ESCC, or other stuff)?[1]

All those modifications use names consistant with existing conventions.
For example, ST-ESCC provides modem2 and serial2, just as all other SCC
based machines.

> I find it more confusing that 'modem1' may point to ports with different
> capabilities, depending on the machine you use.

Agreed, but only one exception, to my knowledge:  Falcon's modem1.

> when do I use a 'modem' port, and when is 'serial' more appropriate?

Serial ports don't provide CD and other modem-specific hardware control.

> Using names like ttyS0 makes it easy to detect all serial ports
> present, regardless of the hardware, and it enables something like

Assuming that those new simlinks point to logical structures, sure.
For example, Falcon's modem1 really should be treated as serial1,
since it lacks CD; it can only provide send/receive.

Let's practice this theory:

ST/MEGA:	ttyM1
ST-ESCC:	       ttyM2,        ttyS2
MEGA-ST:	ttyM1, ttyM2,        ttyS2
  TT030:	ttyM1, ttyM2, ttyS1, ttyS2
 Falcon:	       ttyM2, ttyS1, ttyS2

(no idea for Hades/Milan, sorry; can anybody complete?)

Still, I vouch that this change should be implemented by a XDD serial
driver (some HS-modem replacement), which installs those tty according
to the hardware found, leaving the original names there.

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk