Re: [MiNT] directory for config files.

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 12:12:39PM +0200, Jörg Westheide wrote:
> GF>If we really need extra parameters, why not use a second config
> GF>file "mintboot.cnf" that has one standard location: the auto folder.
> Because then there's another configuration file and people get confused which
> statement to put in which file. And that's IMO really error prone

Why should that be error-prone? If you put the wrong statements in the
wrong file the kernel emits a warning and proceeds.

> GF>we wouldn't have to explain newbies "well, the `exec' directive only
> GF>gets executed in the second go while PROTECTION=on/off is only
> GF>evaluated in the first go" ...
> Why should that be of any interest to the user?
> The only thing that has to be documented is which statements are evaluated
> independent from their position in mint.cnf

No, sorry, complete disagreement.  mint.cnf resembles a lot to a (C) shell
script and that's not by accident.  And a shell script has a sort of flow
control.  It is both error-prone and confusing if a statement in line 100
gets evaluated before a statement in line 50.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/