[MiNT] Elementary questions

I am trying to setup MiNT in small steps after years of putting off
installation.
(I tried the TAF a long time ago but that was pre AB040/Nova and I soon
stopped using it, mainly due to lack of memory)

So far I am up and running with Freemint and AES4.1 and it is a big
improvement to my system, but I have some elementary problems. I haven't
found a source of sufficiently detailed (but elementary) information to
help me. A pointer (if they exist) would be welcome.
(I have also been referring to the Geneva manual, though I am not using
it)

Problem 1:
I can't run TOS programs.
I got TOSWIN2.4 but haven't figured out how to install it so it works.
(I am firing it up from GEM.CNF, and I get a window open during boot.
I have installed the caller.)
(Perhaps I need some more of the unix stuff enabled?, a TMP dir?... or
something else?)

Problem 2:
I wasted a lot of time editing GEM.CNF - for a long time I thought it
wasn't running because "setenv ACCEXT=ACC,ACX" wasn't allowing me to
double click a .ACX on the desktop. Now I guess the desktop is handled
in the old way in NEWDESK.INF
I also finally realised if I wanted Freedom 1.15 to load from GEM.CNF
without crashing it had to be via "run FREEDOM.APP" and not "run
FREEDOM.ACC".]

What would be really nice is a document describing all the commands
valid in GEM.CNF and the pros and cons of putting things in MINT.CNF and
GEM.CNF. I also can never get enough examples (something I miss from
VAX/VMS... the help pages usually helped me more than unix man pages
seem to do).

Problem 3:
Should I be going with the latest FreeMint... or the 040 version on Petr
Stehlik's pages? (Perhaps the latter is better optimized for AB040?)

(Sorry for interrupting the gurus... and thanks in advance for any replies)

--

Regards,

Oliver Skelton