Re: [MiNT] CT2 Bus errors with mint

> Hm - this does sound a bit like a hardware problem to me. Have you tried
> running a decent memory test program?

Nope, but I'd love to.. any recommendations? :-)

Perhaps it's useful to mention another problem here: I just aquired my
64MB fastram simm, but when I put it in the ct2, the Falcon won't boot
(screen stays black) and the IDE disk doesn't even spin up. Everything
else seems to work (ct2 led is on, all fans are spinning). But as long
as I haven't found any other computer I can test the simm in, I'm not
sure what to blame for this. (Of course lots of friends with PCs, but
the pentiums want simms in identical pairs and most 486s want 32pin
simms).

Oh as for the memory, I can see some regularity in the addresses the
buserrors occur in (when booting a few times, I sometimes see the first
crash happen at the same address at each boot, whereas the processes
that cause the buserror are different). Looks like bad memory, except
when I change between tos 7 or tos 4, I get the same crashes but on
different addresses. (The memory is used completely differently in tos
7, because of the fastram emulation and the tos being in ram too). Well
it could still be bad (worse) memory, so a thorough memory check would
be nice.

I am quite convinced it's a hardware problem, either the memory or the
bus itself. It does only happen with MiNT, but that could very well be
because MiNT is the only way to make such a long boot. :-) Are there
other hardware things I can test easily with test proggies? I remember a
program to completely test the ST hardware, is there something similar
for the Falcon? And erm.. does it work with the CT2? :-)

Oh yes, one more thing. When I run MiNT from tos 7 (with emulated fast
ram), MiNT gives a warning that the PMMU "is already in use". Is this
supposed to happen? I'm pretty ignorant on memory management stuff. :)

Thanks,

Maurits.

---

iMac - Whinegums without the taste