Re: [MiNT] Sparemint and FHS

> > > Another point: utmp and wtmp files.  Yes, speaking with FHS
> > > they are currently mislocated.  Who cares?  They are not
> > > human-readable, programs have to find them.
> >
> > And find them they do not:  'who' cannot tell who is logged in,
> > ToswinII cannot write the login info, etc. etc.   Need I go on?
>
> And if you think twice I think you know why - you're using your own
> FHS-hacked programs. Now what happens when utmp/wtmp is updated and
> put in the path recommended by FHS? Your programs will not work, you
> have to rebuild them again and all your efforts are wasted...

If you re-read what I wrote, you'll realize it's the other way around:
my own stuff works fine, because it already uses FHS paths;  Sparemint
doesn't, because it uses a mixture of KGMD and Red Hat.

I'm skipping one step, going straight from KGMD to FHS pathnames.
Therefore, my own compilations always find lastlog/wtmp/utmp where
they should be according to FHS.

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk