Re: [MiNT] Sparemint and FHS

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 07:51:37 +0000, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> > Another point: utmp and wtmp files.  Yes, speaking with FHS
> > they are currently mislocated.  Who cares?  They are not
> > human-readable, programs have to find them.
>
> And find them they do not:  'who' cannot tell who is logged in,
> ToswinII cannot write the login info, etc. etc.   Need I go on?

And if you think twice I think you know why - you're using your own
FHS-hacked programs. Now what happens when utmp/wtmp is updated and
put in the path recommended by FHS? Your programs will not work, you
have to rebuild them again and all your efforts are wasted...

Personally I couldn't care less where files are located - it's a mess
anyway. But as long rpm is used I find it sensible to use the same
paths as Redhat just to keep things easier.

/*
**
*/