Re: [MiNT] Getting started with MiNT [Corrected url]

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Katherine Ellis wrote:
> > You are saying some weird things sometimes just because you based
> > your 'knowledge' on what you think you saw.
>
> Isn't everyone saying things according to what they learned or got
> used to, here on this list?  What's your problem?
Yes, to what we've learned.
My problem is that you THINK you know because you only saw something
somewhere or heard from knows who some stuff, Which is a way to learn, But
you imposing that as being some real facts. That is basically my problem.
When I read that on all unix everything will compile right out of the box,
That everything runs smoothly, only on MiNT it is crappy, it is
inconsistent etc, I can not agree.
The difference between all the unix flavors are just SO huge.
As in, once again, it didn't take 5 minutes to recompile tn3270 on a sun
box. It just doesn't work that way.

My problem also is that you are ready to BREAK compatibility for some
not that vital things. As in /root instead of /home/root, or the utmp
location.
mintlibs wil have to be redone, and/or packages all recompiled (when
possible). Weren't you the one saying, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"?

> Now, that's a _very_ interresting reply, from the very person who
> suggested I switch to the marginal AUTO-folder order I currently use.
what's marginal about this auto-folder?
Doens't it work better?
Just tell me what's wrong with it. This auto folder makes sense, and has
been proven to work. I don't see what's funny/interesting about this.

> Given this, maybe I should really start to worry, if/when you get
> involved into a project, because it's surely gonna result in some
> marginal actions based on "knowledge" on what you think you saw.

That's ok with me.
One can be worried about me. I ain't no guru, when I suck at something I
do admit it.

Btw, out of curiosity, How many of you have a phoney value in
/etc/hostname ?  (like my_computer, or my_home, or tt_box and such)

qfunk, can we stop this thread now? I think it is gonna keep on for a
while for nothing out of it... Thanks.