Re: [MiNT] Getting started with MiNT [Corrected url]

Hi,

sorry for the delay.  But I think this is still of interest.

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:36:05PM -0400, Katherine Ellis wrote:
> Hello, this is nice initiative.
> I read it, and actually there is a point (old point) that i would like to
> bring up again.
>
> mint.cnf location along with the multitos, mint folder.
>
> On irc, few days/weeks ago, We talked about this topic.
> And came up with the conclusion that mint/multitos etc should be droped
> down to only 1 folder.
>
> Could be mint/, could be multitos/, could be mintboot/ whatever, but at
> least consistent and not start confuse people/beginners with such a
> futility. (I personally wouldn't care as my system works), but see after a
> while, I get like 10 email/month asking me how to set up correctly in
> which folder, Just like answering always the same question again and
> again.

Sparemint has its own idea about this (but its not cemented, feel free to
comment/critize): The old directories /usr/multitos or /usr/mint are
completely dropped (which currently breaks execgem/execmtos). The
directory /boot should always be a symbolic link to your actualy boot
drive (usually c:) and the directory /boot/mint _has_ to be the directory
where your drivers, file systems etc. are located.  Since you cannot
create symbolic links on your boot drive, the directory "c:\boot\mint" is
usually mandatory.

This will hurt the feelings of the "some people" that prefer "c:\multitos"
but if the drivers/fs directory can be positively identified Sparemint
tools (for example for the install script of the mintnet package) to
automatically update all drivers and network interfaces that you have
currently installed.

See the manpage drivers(8) after installing the "mint-util" package for
more details. Or install mintnet from Sparemint to see it work.

Of course you don't have to follow this.  If your mileage varies, the only
thing that happens is that packages installing drivers cannot update the
directory for you.  But you will still find all drivers contained in the
package in /usr/lib/mint/drivers.

Ciao

Guido
--