Re: [MiNT] Getting started with MiNT [Corrected url]

Hello, this is nice initiative.
I read it, and actually there is a point (old point) that i would like to
bring up again.

mint.cnf location along with the multitos, mint folder.

On irc, few days/weeks ago, We talked about this topic.
And came up with the conclusion that mint/multitos etc should be droped
down to only 1 folder.

Could be mint/, could be multitos/, could be mintboot/ whatever, but at
least consistent and not start confuse people/beginners with such a
futility. (I personally wouldn't care as my system works), but see after a
while, I get like 10 email/month asking me how to set up correctly in
which folder, Just like answering always the same question again and
again.

I understand that the multiple folder possibility is only a "look" thing
and used to it. People are not willing to change. (I guess), But I do
think it is necessary to change that behavior.
If some people REALLY want to have their mint folder named with a special
filename they would just recompile, (after all, tweaking the src to fit
our system is all it is about).
Let's be consistent and remain as simple as possible when possible and
when not needed.

If we can basically choose for a common folder. (after the irc
discussion), someone came up with mintboot/ (which fits 8+3), I think we
all liked that. (or could be bootmint/)

If someone here would like to speak up for whatever his reasons he might
have against not changing this feature, I would like to hear them.

I had other ideas, but got rejected ;) which is fine :) that's the whole
purpose of talking/arguing :))

Thanks.

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Oliver Skelton wrote:

> Humble apologies...I got the url wrong.  Pls try:
>
>   Well here is a good intention which will probably lapse.
>
>   I have started a small web page to try and give some step by step
>   instructions on setting up MiNT.
>
>   It is:
>       http://www2.gol.com/users/oskelton/mint.html
>
>   Feedback welcomed.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Oliver

                                            /
MiNT Is Now TOS, let's move on, shall we?  /
                                          /