Re: [MiNT] Detecting dialup connections

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > Using names like ttyS0 makes it easy to detect all serial ports present,
> > in init scripts etc. without requiring modifications for new hardware.
>
> BTW (Qfunk!), I didn't mean to completely abandon the current naming
> scheme.  I even think it is a good idea if I see a socket at the back of
> my machine labelled "modem2" and I then see a file "/dev/modem2".  But if
> the kernel would automatically create symlinks:
>
> 	/dev
> 	  ttyS0 -> modem1
> 	  ttyS1 -> modem2
> 	  ttyS2 -> serial1
>  	  ttyS3 -> serial2
> 	  ttyS4 -> some_future_extension

Are there any ttyM0 or similar?  There should remain a clear
distinction between modem and serial ports.  Also, the current
numbering scheme should be maintained, for clarity.

For me, this should be:

ttyM1
ttyM2
ttyS1
ttyS2
ttyMD

...and correspond to the port's functionality (re: Falcon modem1
really is a serial1, functionaly).

About the kernel making these symlinks, I would much prefer if
this was done by an XDD that also installs better serial drivers.
This was Jerry Geiger's idea with the HSM devices (although he
never got that far, thanks to Harun Scuetzow dropping support),
and it should be maintained.

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk