Re: [MiNT] Hades MiNT-Net problems

Hi Jo Even Skarstein, on 10 Oct 99 you said:

 >> 1) You need a kernel 1.14.3 or better that supports 115k baud.
 >> 2) You need a patched pppd also (2.2.0f by Howard Chu is good).
 >> 3) You need the above symlinks in your MINT.CNF.
 JES>
 JES> (1) and (2) is correct, (3) not. If he indeed have a recent kernel and
 JES> a patched pppd (which he obviously have, since he tried all of them...)
 JES> I can only assume that there's a problem with serial-support on his
 JES> Hades.

(1) I've got 1.15.2b.

(2) I don't remember which version is installed right now. I'll pick up the
binaries from the 2.2.0f archive.

(3) That's not a big issue. Names don't matter. I'll worry about this later.

 JES> Hey, wait a minute here... He said that I-Connect and Connect works fine,
 JES> right? My guess is that he's running HS-Modem *after* MiNT, which is
 JES> understandable if he's the kind of person who actually reads
 JES> documentation ;-) Remi, check this and be sure that HS-Modem runs before
 JES> MiNT.

I've read a lot of documentation since I began to go the Un*x way but I sure
didn't need docs to realize that I-Connect doesn't work if HS-Modem runs before
MiNT. I added 2 lines in my MINT.CNF to launch HS-Modem after MiNT. I removed
them and I-Connect doesn't work any more... but *pppd works!* Thanks Jo!

Now, could you tell me how to get a minimum of screen (i.e. console) output
from pppd instead of having everything --including failure messages-- logged to
/var/log/messages? Pppd dials but fails during PPP configuration... (I think I
still need to do some cleaning in all its config files.) Almost every line in
my syslog.conf leads to /dev/con but pppd never uses the console even when I
launch it by hand.

And if somebody could recall me how to get my local (dynamic) ip once I'll be
actually connected... I feel lazy and I don't want to browse all my docs.  ;-)

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr