Re: [MiNT] TZ change?

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:

> > I noticed this morning that ircII shows a time that is one hour
> > ahead of the system time.  Since it was compiled in USA (Kellis,
> > TZ:ESTEDT) I was wondering if USA just changed to Winter time?

And it is now back to normal, since tonight.

It switched to EET, presumably at midnight, but not all running
processes noticed. For instance, inetd (port 37:time, internal)
returned "GMT+3" instead of "GMT+2" when using rdate from Stacy.

> I think they change on the last Sunday in October, not sure.

Do we also, in Europe?

As I remember, Europe uses this "last Sunday of..." rule, both
when changing to Winter time and again back to Summer time, but
Canada/US don't use the same simple method.

Anyhow, my point is, binaries should change timezone according
to the machine on which they're running, not to whoever ported
some package and _their_ timezone.

> 	zic -l Europe/Helsinki -p Europe/Helsinki

That was done when I installed the newest tzinit from mintlib
0.53 and most packages seem to recognize this zone if they were
compiled with MINTLIB 0.49 or newer.

MiNTOS is among those that need to be recompiled, otherwise login
and syslog produce incorrect timestamps (RE: my previous email,
when the first version of tzinit was released about a year ago -
mine was rebuilt using MINTLIB 0.49 back then).

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk