[MiNT] pdomain() inheritance?

Hi everybody,

Here come the metaphysical issue of the day...

I wrote a TOS program (i.e. for the console) in which I use pdomain(1) to be
able to handle long filenames. No problem so far. But when my program transmits
long filenames to another TTP it calls in the mean time, here comes the
problem. The TTP (which isn't mine) accepts lower case filenames but not
filenames longer than 8+3. The real problem is that, amongst several long
filenames which all look the same, once reduced to 8+3, the TTP always picks
the first. Well, I solved the problem in creating a hard link each time the
name is too long. This isn't the point... Any way, all this led me to think
that there's no pdomain() inheritance from a parent process to its children. Am
I right or wrong?

Now, I'm discovering more and more about MINIX and long filenames. Since I
installed minix.xfs version 0.72, I've learnt to be proper with my system and
I've started to use fsck and mount on a regular basis. (Shame on me cause I
never used them!) But I've encountered a new problem with BoxKite and
PhotoLine... When I try to load a picture which is on a minix partition, I have
to switch on the long filenames button in BoxKite otherwise PhotoLine doesn't
find any file... But BoxKite [which must use pdomain(-1)] always complains that
PhotoLine doesn't support long filenames. Well, in fact, PhotoLine perfectly
supports long filenames because it reads the right file just after I ignored
BoxKite complain.

That's why I came into the idea to patch PhotoLine, to add a pdomain(1) call
at the beginning. Here comes my theorical patch program:

basepage = pexec(3, PhotoLine, ...); /* Load, don't go. */
pdomain(1);
retour = pexec(4, 0, basepage); /* Just go. */
exit( retour );

But with this lack of pdomain() inheritance, I'm wondering... Is it possible?
What do I do? Do I patch BoxKite's pdomain() call to let it believe that
pdomain(1) is always active? (I just got this idea...)

Wow! I think that I've raised a philosophical question...

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr