Re: [MiNT] NFS problem

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 02:00:07AM -0800, josephus wrote:
> Linux (slackware) has been chaing the libraries and/or compilers
> with EVERY release.  It is always assumed that you will format
> to a clean disk and then install.   Upgrading is weird.  I never
> know if I have enough libraries in my /lib.  Because currently
> the latest ( 2.2.6) has a complete enough bootup that I can
> manage my system, but it complains that I have the wrong library!
> I installed EVERYTHING.   sigh. it looks like a USER problem...
> right?

Even though this is off-topic here, I want to point out that my debian
installation has been through multiple upgrades (a.out->elf and
libc5->glibc, plus the minor distribution updates) without any problems. The
package manager was even able to do these upgrades without a single reboot.
Having proper package dependencies and a reliable package manager helps a
lot in this regard.

I think slackware is more a kind of 'trust me, I know what I am
doing'-distribution - which means that it will not automatically do the
right thing for you. This may be right is this is what you are looking for,
eg. for a small system where you want complete control and overview over all
installed files. However, you have to live with the downside of that
approach, which is that you *have* to have that overview in order to keep
the system running.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen